From left: Erwin James (Freelance writer), Sir Joseph Pilling (Former Koestler Trust Chair), Tim Ahern (Former Lord Mayor of Kensington & Chelsea), Lord Ramsbotham (Former Chief Inspector of Prisons)
"Angela is bloody impressive… she really knows her stuff."
Member of Michael Gove’s team, Ministry of Justice
"I found what you had to say really interesting and inspiring and our meeting certainly made me realise even more than previously the importance of the Arts in the prison context. Their role in the education and rehabilitation of offenders, especially those with minimal schooling, is clearly vital”
Dame Sally Coates, United Learning
THE ROLE OF THE ARTS WITHIN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM
In 2016, the then Prime Minister, David Cameron, finally acknowledged the ‘scandalous failure’ of our prison system and promised a ‘rehabilitation revolution.’ Justice Secretary Michael Gove and his team widely consulted experts and arts organisations and Dame Sally Coates was commissioned to create a Review of Prison Education. Angela was invited to contribute her extensive experience and expertise both to the Review and to the Ministry of Justice’s new policy making and education strategies.
Whether you are a Prison Governor, a Policy Maker, an Educational organisation or a Charity seeking to know more about the role of the Arts within the Criminal Justice System, I can:
- Introduce you to the very specific ways the arts can help within the context of prisons and the prevention of re-offending
- Give specific examples of offending behaviour and attitudes that can be addressed through targeted exercises
- Outline the process of setting up and running an art project in prison – practicalities, costs, possible outcomes
- Advise how to adapt an existing prison art department to include more rehabilitative tools and strategies
- Offer ideas on how to raise funds to support the arts in a prison setting
- Leave you with a clear idea on how to proceed in achieving your aims
Advice or Consult
I offer bespoke advice, consultations or workshops to any organisation or individual wanting to work in any way with the arts in prisons. I charge £50 for an initial 1-hour consultation, refundable against a booking.
Contact Angela to discuss your requirements.